9.02.2010

words of impact

Today, I went to my first creative writing class at BYU. It's two and a half hours long. I'm sure many people would cringe at the thought of that, but to be honest, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face the entire time. Our first assignment in class was to write a story that was only six words. I think Professor Woods was trying to get us to grasp the concept of being able to impact people with few words. I sat, and thought, and I honestly couldn't come up with one. Truthfully, I still can't.
Anyway, he finally quoted Ernest Hemingway: "For sale: Baby shoes, never worn." 
This sad little six word story certainly did impact me. Instead of coming up with my own six word story, I just kind of thought about how ideas can be conveyed in such a small thought or gesture. I then thought of the small ideas, small thoughts, and small words that have impacted me lately. I realized instantly that I have been so touched by some of the simplest of words in the past while that it is truly overwhelming. The other day, I received some inspiring words.. "Take the time to discover who you are and what you want; then embrace it with all of your heart." Isn't that fabulous? A professor in one of my classes earlier this week shared a six word phrase with us. "Put your passion ahead of grades." Doesn't that phrase just awaken your sleeping mind? It is seriously so easy to bring a smile to my face its absolutely ridiculous. This morning I was awakened by a text that simply said, "Good morning, pretty girl." Who wouldn't smile after reading that? A few days ago, I was surprised by a text. This text started out by saying.. "I am your friend.." Those four words honestly brought tears to my eyes. I'm sure they are words that we hear all the time, but the story hidden, and the events leading up to this text certainly make them mean so much more. People are fascinating and brilliant. Every single one of them. Each of these little phrases have been said directly, or indirectly, to me within days of each other. Perhaps you are not as fascinated as I am, but I a truly touched by the kind words of the people that matter in my life. I hope they know that.



No comments:

Post a Comment

search the blog